Thursday, September 6, 2007

Mary Tyler Moore


There is a movie that my sister & I love. I know, I know, you're shocked! Anyway, the female lead is very funny and very normal looking. She's not stick thin, not too tall, just normal. The male lead, in a romantic moment, mentions that she reminds him of Mary Tyler Moore. Giggling, she says, "Oh, I am SO not Mary Tyler Moore!" I love that line.

How many of us just long to be Mary, when in actuality we are Rhoda? For those of you who are too young to know who I am writing about & have never watched the reruns on Nic-at-Nite or TVLand, here is a description. Mary is tall and thin. Rhoda struggles with pesky pounds. Men frequently fall in love with Mary while Rhoda continually looks for (& never finds) Mr. Right. Mary catches her cap every time she throws it in the air. Poor Rhoda has to pick hers up off the sidewalk. Getting the picture, yet? Mary had her hard times, but life always seemed to work out right--not so for Rhoda. She was the comic relief.

Sometimes I want to be the lead, not the relief! In a class I began last night, the teacher said this, "God can and does use every pound (& self imagined fault)!" What a relief! He doesn't want a bunch of Mary's! He wants all the Rhoda's, Phyllis', Mr. Grant's & Ted's! (The show had a lot of comic relief!) So, pick your cap up off the sidewalk and have a good day!
Lara

No comments: