Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Color -- Forwarded from Head Coach @ Home

I just read my brother's blog for today. Those of you who know me know that I am a fanatic about my niece and nephews! I LOVE those kids and mourn every day that I don't get to spend with them. Poughkeepsie, NY is a LONG way from Birmingham, AL. Besides this being a sweet picture of my Derrick, Richard's point just lifted my heart. If you've read my last few posts, you can see how our Lord is reaching out to me over and over lifting my heart. Don't we serve a great God!!!!
When I tell people that my son Derrick's favorite baseball team is the Pittsburgh Pirates, most people ask, "How'd that happen?" Kind of like you would ask a person who comes in a room on crutches. You feel sorry for them, but you want to hear the story of what happened. Well, Derrick's is a good story...
Now, once you look into Pittsburgh baseball, you see the Pirates have alot to offer. Sure, they've been abysmal lately, but they've got a great ballpark and a sparkling history. Still, why does the son of a Braves fan lock into a team that hasn't been competitive for a decade and a half?
For Derrick the answer is simply 'color'. When he was five (he's now 10) I introduced him to baseball card collecting. I bought him some new packs,
but also crawled down from the attic with a handful of my old cards from the 70s & 80s to round out his start up collection. A 1980 Willie Stargell card quickly became his favorite ... because he loved the uniform color. The bright yellow trimmed in black. He asked for more of my old Pirates cards and before long he learned about Roberto Clemente, We Are Family, and even the early years of a curiously skinny kid named Barry Bonds. Now he has an autograph from current Bucs short stop Jack Wilson, has seen them play in person, checks the scores every day, and still hopes out loud every spring - 'Maybe the Pirates will make the playoffs this year!'
He still loves the uniform, insisting the team's catcher's gear has the coolest color scheme in the Majors. The color still matters to him. And I think that's a fine reason for a kid to like a team!
This relates to some thoughts about my relationship with the Lord. It might sound silly, but when I think about what draws people toward God, I think about Derrick & the Pirates. For many of us, something catches our eye - so to speak - and becomes a catalyst for some faith searching. Romans 2:4 tells us that the goodness or kindness of the Lord leads us toward repentance. Like a vibrant color on a piece of cardboard, His love captures our attention. Its not normal love, its unique - Romans 5:8 "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." This is the love that draws us in.
I've been listening to a worship song by 'Desperation Band' called 'The Beauty of the Lord'. There's a line in the song that says, "Jesus your love has won me over". That's it - His love catches my eye and wins my heart. Over time I learn the back story, the realities of what it means and the big picture perspectives. But it started with Him simply showing me some of the 'color' of His love.
So, we should occasionally return to that simple truth that 'we love Him because he first loved us' - he caught our attention - he won us over. Take some time to think about the goodness, the kindness, the love of God that first mattered and still matters to you. Because its at the heart of your story.
Richard
Here's another way to search God out, look back. Not on our pasts, but on what captured our attention. On the ways He showed Himself when we were just spiritual kids. Enjoy your baseball card.
Lara

No comments: