Tuesday, December 23, 2008

A Baby Changes Everything

Several years ago, Johnson & Johnson began airing some powerful commercials. They featured babies or children in special moments with their families. The tag-line was 'A baby changes everything'. Because of my struggle with infertility, I learned to avoid those commercials. They invariably made me sad. You don't have to tell someone who longs for children that a child can change your life. We already know that. So, this fall, when Faith Hill's Christmas CD came out with that title, I groaned. Christmas is so much more magical when children are involved. I assumed that is what the title indicated. Then, a few nights ago, I heard the title song. If you haven't heard it yet, you need to. Just as inviting Jesus into your heart and life changes everything, so did His coming to earth 2000 years ago.
The old hymn informs us that He accepts me 'just as I am'. But He doesn't leave us that way. We are lost, broken, wounded, blind, etc. This God, who loves us enough to become man, finds, heals and carries us. No, He is not a baby in the straw. He just started that way. This Man. This Lord. This risen Saviour. This God who was born in a stable and laid in a feeding trough. He changes everything!
Merry Christmas from me & mine to you & yours.
Lara

No comments: