Thursday, June 21, 2007

Vacation Bible School

Do you remember going to Vacation Bible School? I was just helping my sister, who is extraordinary with children, prepare for this year's VBS. And in the last few days, I have found such pleasure in recalling my childhood VBS's. I don't remember the different curriculums, but I do remember the sweltering heat of the Deep South. Then filing in with other children into the cold church sanctuary. I remember round cookies that had holes in the middle. I remember putting them on my fingers and eating around and around. I remember too sweet fruit drinks in tiny wax cups. I remember making things with glue, beans, and other things that would be gifts for Mama, Papa, Lisa or Richard. I remember laughing and singing. Just last night I realized that VBS is where I learned John 3:16. What a beautiful legacy. "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believeth in Him, shall not perish, but have evelasting life." If you have children, please take them to a VBS this summer. If you don't, please volunteer in some way. What better gift than to make sure a child learn John 3:16 this summer.
Lara

1 comment:

lisacatherine said...

as i read, i could feel the heat of that summer sun and taste the cookies. thanks for takeing me back there.