Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Fasting, Prayer & Obedience

Liberty Birmingham, my home church is in the middle of a Daniel Fast. Lisa & I participated it one almost ninteen years ago in NC. I had forgotten how beautiful this fast can be. While others seem to be struggling with the lack of food, Lisa & I are enjoying this healthy way of eating. Lisa is a type 2 diabetic and, according to my latest blood work, I am skating close to that line. Having done this before, we have some recipes that came back to us and there are some great websites and cookbooks that weren't around in 1989. Even last night, we were able to meet a friend for supper & enjoy restaurant food that met the Fast standards. We really have enjoyed this time & hope to include these ways of cooking and eating into our daily lives! There have been times in the last week and a half, that I've wondered if I were suffering enough. But Lisa spoke God's word into my life when she relayed to me that He told her that 'it's not about suffering, but about obedience'. Unfortunately, I did take a little bit of pride in how well this is going...
On Monday - Friday mornings, the church is open for prayer from 6am to 7 am. As we live on the other end of Birmingham, I can't go to prayer and make it on time to work. So, while Lisa is getting up and gone by 5:30, I'm still in bed. And those of you who know me know that I am definitely not a morning person!!!! On Saturdays I so love curling up in my bed until about 9 or 10am. Lisa asked me a few days ago, if I would get up and pray at 6, so that I would be in unity with the church body. Let me just say that my obedience is not very strong at 6:00 in the morning. Unfortunately, I've only done what He (through Lisa) asked of me a few times. Do me a favor, will you? Don't take pride in something that comes easily... The other part of His request might not be so easy.
Now, if I can get past all the pharmaceutical reps who want to give me chocolate!!!!

No comments: