Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Mine, Too

Almost 20 years ago, in one of the darkest moments of my life, a great man told my father something beautiful that I still hold to today. My brother had broken the hearts of his family and his wife. His father-in-law, Bob Warner, called us and showed us the very heart of God when he said to my father, "Don, he's our son, too." Through the pain his own daughter was feeling, this man of God recognized our pain. Even now, almost 20 years after God's mighty restoration of my brother's marriage, those words resonate with me. Especially yesterday...

My beautiful sister-in-law, who allowed God to restore her marriage, called yesterday with a frightening diagnosis. Cancer had been found in one of her own family members. Disbelief, fear and nausea were my immediate reactions. There was no, and still is no, reaction of, "Thank God it's not my family member!" Because, you see, this woman is my family member. We have since found out that the cancer is still at Stage 1, which is a great relief. But cancer is still cancer, and I can have a hard time remembering that God is bigger than cancer.

You see, she's 'mine, too' and I'm still a little afraid.

Lara

No comments: