Thursday, April 10, 2008

Brothers

You may have noticed that one of the blogs I visit is HeadCoach@Home. You may think that's strange, since it's geared toward encouraging husbands & fathers. But it's actually become a cool way for me to check up on my brother. He's a pastor in Poughkeepsie, NY and it's his blog. I love reading about his perspectives on family, sports, and life in general. I'm feeling quite nostalgic today (shocker), so let me tell you about my brother...

Growing up, I thought he was the most incredible boy in the world. I envied his relationship with our sister, Lisa, and longed for that friendship with him. Before he became a 'cool' teenager, we would play backyard football and he always let me win. When he started to have a life and friends of his own, I became quite the nuisance. I've tried to comfort Richard's oldest, Carlie, when she complains about her youngest sibling, Bryce. All Bryce is doing, and all that I did to Richard, is trying to insinuate himself into her life. And if that can only be done through irritants, so be it. When you see your older sibling growing up and, in your perception, out of your life, you do everything you can to hold onto them. Unfortunately, that usually means making their life, and the lives of the rest of the family, pretty miserable. Mother still says that she wondered if we would hate each other for the rest of our lives.

But then, you begin to grow up and those irritating ways fade as you build your own life. I've always adored my big brother, even when I haven't agreed with him. I still adore him. He has given me a sister-in-law who is just as much my sister as Lisa is. He made me an aunt to three of the most incredible kids. I am amazed at how wonderful he is at being a husband and father. Though I shouldn't be, considering the role model he has in our father. He has made me happier than I could imagine. He has hurt me more than I could imagine. Isn't that the way with family? They bring you the best AND the worst. Only the worse is far outweighed by the best! I hope you enjoy getting to know him through his blog. He's one of the most incredible men in the world.

1 comment:

Richard said...

Thank you so much, girl, for this awesome post! I read it 2 weeks ago and forgot to make my comment. I think it to be way too gracious given the rough mileage I've put you through over the years...But I think the good I've experienced by having you for a sister redeems me. And hopefully you'll receive all the crowns you deserve when we arrive in our next world!

I've been bragging on you about the recent drama ministry at Liberty and directing people to you site so they could get a taste for your writing. Love You Much!!