Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Fall Fever

I LOVE the season of Fall! All my life I've heard of people having 'spring fever'. Well, I have to be different and get 'fall fever'. Summer in the Deep South is brutal! So, I am vitalized when the haze of summer breaks. Birmingham had a nasty drought this summer, so those brilliant colors may not show up. I will miss them, but am determined to store every moment of this short season in my heart. I read in a magazine that, if you blink you could miss Fall. Down here, you may not be able to wear a sweatshirt until January or February. Needless to say, my sweatshirt collection lasts years. So, I better catch Fall when I can.

Here's how I recognize it:
  • Even in the early afternoon, the air has a tint of gold that's only found in sunsets.

  • I no longer have to turn my car's a/c to it's highest setting and turn all vents toward me.

  • The sky becomes a color of blue that my mother refers to as 'October Blue', or if you're from NC 'Tarheel Blue'.

  • Smiles come easier, as weather is harder to complain about.

  • The air even seems easier to breathe.

  • I begin to LONG for the mountains, a cabin next to a stream and a crackling fire.

  • Walking outside is something I want to do.

  • Burning leaves.

  • High School and College football games--Go MSU Bulldogs!!!!

Watch for the signs. Take a moment. Try to enjoy. And if all you can do is dread the long winter ahead, read this and look forward to your own 'Spring Fever'.

Lara

No comments: