Monday, October 29, 2007

Weakness

I have a bad ankle. I have lost count of the number of times I have twisted or turned it. I think I've sprained it a grand total of four times. I know, I know. I need to strengthen it. I was told that when I sprained it the second time. You would think I would have learned by now!!! Anyway, last night, after an incredible harvest celebration at my church, I twisted it again. But this time I couldn't shake it off, as I do when it gets turned. It continued to hurt in a way that it never has with the sprains. AND, it still hurt this morning when the sheet touched it.

Worried, yet? Yep, it's broken. I just had it X-rayed & there is a small chip fracture. Okay, am I the only one who thinks that the words small or chip don't match the word 'fracture'? I have an appointment with an ortho this afternoon. But all this got me to thinking. How many twists and turns did it take to force me to find out how to strengthen this weak ankle? How many sprains? And just how much longer would I have ignored them? Can't you tell yet? I'm getting a 'God thing' out of this!

How many times does He gently warn us of trouble or sin in our lives? You know, those weak ankles that keep causing problems? How many of those slightly stern warnings? Did you know that when a sheep continues to wander off and disobey the shepard, that he will break the sheep's legs and carry this sheep in his shoulders while the legs mend? Needless to say, the sheep no longer wanders off once its legs mend. The sheep has become used to the shepard and doesn't want to lose that intimacy. No, God did not break my ankle! My disregard for the signs of weakness did. But what is He trying to warn me about my spiritual walk that I am disregarding? What is He trying to tell you? Let's learn it before He has to break us and remake us.

Lara

No comments: