Monday, December 3, 2007

All Things

I'm pretty wiped out today. We, Lisa & I spent the weekend making the house 'Christmas Ready'. We decorated 2 trees, pulled up boxes out of the basement, unpacked them, then took the empty ones back down. While decorating the living room tree, I thought about all the stories I've heard. You know the ones, where the tree falls, breaking all the most precious ornaments. And guess what? That tree fell this Monday. I kept thinking about our special ornaments. The ones that 'mean' something. Lisa's Waterford ball. The glass ornament from Baggins' (our dog that died a few years ago) first Christmas with us. The blown glass ornament that I always try to hang by a light so it will glisten. Okay, so maybe I'm just a tiny bit materialistic! I just love those ornaments! And the nativity scene underneath the tree. Lisa's pieces that are limited editions, and hard to replace.
To put these material things into perspective, grief is blanketing Blount and North Jefferson counties, here in Alabama. Seven cheerleaders of Hayden High School ran off the road and down a ravine on Thursday night, 11/30/07. Whitney, Sarah and Courtney were killed. What are these ornaments compared to the loss of three girls just at the start of their lives? Which one of their loved ones would break every memento if it meant bringing the girls back?

I am connected to them through co-workers and patients in my doctor's office. And only one question is on every one's mind, "Why?" I can't answer that question. There is no answer. But I can tell you this. At the close of each funeral on Monday, there was an altar call. Bonnie, my co-worker who was at Sarah & Whitney's combined funeral, couldn't count the number of people who went up for salvation. Does the salvation of these people make up for the loss of these girls? Some might not think so. But, because of them many now know Jesus Christ as their personal Saviour. We will see Whitney, Sarah, and Courtney again. We will be together in eternity with them, as well as those who pledged their lives to Christ at their funerals.

We know that God causes all things to work together for good
to those who love God, to those who are called
according to His purpose.
Rom. 8:28 NAS

May the comfort of the Holy Spirit be felt by those loved ones who are grieving today. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Lara

No comments: