Saturday, December 15, 2007

Music

Of the many beautiful things that my parents have sowed into my life, music is one of the greatest. My father has one of the best tenor voices I've ever heard. And no, I'm not biased, why do you ask? Honestly, though, people are have always loved to hear him sing. Lisa and I both sing. Richard can, and very well, but prefers to preach. Mother has sung in each of my father's choirs, but listens, smiling, from the audience as we sing. Growing up, I believed that music had no color or race. I grew up listening to Christian music from Andre Crouch, Truth & Bill Gaither. My father brought music from all of these artists to Baptist churches in Mississippi and Louisiana where they might not have been heard otherwise.

Shown here is the official Moore Christmas favorite! As children, each school morning in December, our mother woke us up with the first song on this album. As each one of us went to college, she couldn't do so each morning, but on December 1st, the payphone in the hall would ring. Sure enough it was our mom, playing 'Ching-a-Ling'! Now, with part of the family in NY, it's still played over the phone on 12/1. Those of you who know us, know that we are a bit fanatical about Christmas, with each room decorated. Yes, even the bathrooms! This is one of our precious traditions. May you hear our 'Ching-a-Ling' someday! Merry Christmas!
Lara

No comments: