Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Mirror Image

Have you ever known someone who complains constantly? Maybe someone who is self-absorbed? What about a martyr? Have you ever lived with, worked with or attended church with any or all of these folks? They're everywhere, aren't they? The churches I remember attending number somewhere around fifteen, and that doesn't even count the ones I've visited. The jobs I've held number somewhere around thirty, not counting various volunteer opportunities. In every one, with the exception of the different dog/house sitting jobs, I've worked with what preachers used to call 'holy sandpaper'. You know the ones. They 'rub' those rough edges off of us by getting on our last nerve. They, through their most annoying attributes, push us closer to who God is making us to be. We know they're out there. Every one of us is familiar with them. But what about when we see our own most annoying attributes in them?
A few years ago, I worked with a very nice girl. You wouldn't think she was sandpaper just to look at her and spend a little time with her. She was a hard worker who did her job well. She was funny and, most of the time, fun to be around. She had friends there, as well as those she wasn't fond of. She, in short, was just like the rest of us. But there was one thing she did that drove me crazy. She complained. Her drive into work was worse than everyone else's. Traffic was longer and more horrible on her way than any other. The management put more on her than anyone else. Her husband, her in-laws, her family was worse/better depending on her day. Many days, during my work experiene with her, I rolled my eyes and/or said to God, "Can you believe her? There she goes again!"
Now, I haven't often heard God speak. He usually speaks to me through His Word, the words of other people or through peace. But occasionally I will hear a still, small voice in my heart. The last time I complained about her to Him, was one of those times. He spoke to me and reminded me of how much I complain. He put a mirror in front of my face. I realized that my co-worker was a mirror image of myself. You see, they aren't always sand-paper. Sometimes they are mirrors. Sometimes they show us that what we don't like about them, are things that He wants to work out in ourselves. So next time that annoying person makes you count to ten, see if what they are doing is something that you do. It's not fun, but it does make the image in that mirror look a little more like Christ!

No comments: