Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Trust the Numbers

I work in an endocrinologist's office and hear from our diabetic patients over and over how 'bad' they feel when their blood sugars are in normal ranges. You would think that 'normal' would feel good to them. On the contrary, once their body adjusts to extreme highs, normal feels as if they are dropping too low. They struggle with fatigue, dizziness and difficulty concentrating. That sounds like how I feel every morning! Have I mentioned that I'm not a morning person? Anyway, they panic. These bad feelings CAN"T be good?! Surely they were better off when their blood sugar was high?! It takes quite a bit of explaining by our nurses that they weren't better off. Their bodies are, in essence, lying to them. They can't trust these feelings. They need to trust the numbers.
I'm one of those 'feeling' people. In three years of Bible college, I only failed one course, Systematic Theology. Theology, science, math and all of those don't make sense to me. My brain doesn't work that way. As a little girl learning my numbers, the only way I could relate to them was to give the personalities and build stories around them. I'm not a bottom line kind of person. It's all about feelings and comfort for me. I can usually see multiple sides to an issue. While that can be a blessing, it makes some lessons He has for me harder. The Cross of Jesus Christ doesn't have multiple sides. There is only one way to our Heavenly Father. And believe me, these absolutes DON"T feel good! We get used to sin in our lives. It becomes the normal and we numb to it. When the Cross and Jesus' Blood are applied to us, it can hurt! The children of Israel weren't happy in the desert. In spite of the fact that they were slaves, they began to wish for the 'good old days'. How slavery can be referred to as good old days lets us know just how uncomfortable they felt. Again, they were basing everything on their feelings.
Consistently high blood sugars destroy the body's kidneys, eyes and nerves, just to name a few. Sin causes death, physical and spiritual. We can't listen to the feelings of our body when we start to gain control of blood sugar. We have to watch the glucose meter. It tells the truth while the body lies. When the heady excitement of following His new direction fades and the difficulty of it hits home, pull out the 'meter', His Word. Trust the numbers. They're rigid. They don't change. He doesn't change. His best is not reliant on our feelings. Trust the numbers.

No comments: