Tuesday, May 13, 2008

A Day

Ever had one of those days? Stupid question, I know. We ALL have days like that. And we're never prepared for them! Speaking of... How do we prepare? How do you know when one day's going to be worse than the others? When you reach for the snooze button, coffee or your Bible, why can't we have a neon sign flashing "TROUBLE AHEAD, PREPARE ACCORDINGLY!" Am I the only one who thinks this is a good idea?
Here are some ideas I have for signs:
  • Your hot water heater will run out of hot water at precisely 5:30am today!
  • There will be a train stopped across your commute today.
  • The woman in the car next to you in morning traffic will be putting on her mascara as she drifts into your lane.
  • Your first call of the morning will be an angry husband who is upset over something you can't control.
  • Your computer will crash in the middle of important business that is unsaved.
  • The elastic in your underwear will give out under severe duress as you walk into an important meeting.
  • All of the above things will happen to you today, be prepared!

It's easier to take when only one of these things happen, but when they all happen before lunch...

Sometimes His gracious Holy Spirit warns me of things to come. Sometimes I'm ready for the dents and dings of life. Sometimes I'm not. Ok, so not all of these things happened to me. Guess I shouldn't complain. Do we really have any ground for complaints when the next person we meet is trying to control the grief that death brings?

I started this post as a funny, 'haven't you been there?' post. But just now, the Holy Spirit asked me if I had prayed for the patient who came in this morning. Her daughter in law lost both of her parents yesterday. Of course, He's God, so He knows the answer to His own questions. And I'm sure that you can guess that my answer is no, I haven't prayed for this lady... That's about to change.

Here's to all of us going through this day. And keep your eyes (and ears) open for those who need us in the midst.

Lara

No comments: