Thursday, May 15, 2008

Mirror, Mirror, On The Wall...

What do you see in your mirror? And is it truth or just perception? I have a nightshirt that is almost twenty years old. Yes, I am a pack rat, why do you ask? I still remember when my friend, Tonya, gave it to me and I began to unfold it. Do you know the first thing I thought of, other than gratitude? I was worried that it wouldn't fit. Even though the tag read 'one size fits all', I believed that I was too fat to fit into it. Now, I won't specify just how much more I weigh now, let's just say that I am quite a bit larger than I was that day. And two or more of me would still fit in this thing.
So, I guess my question is this... Why, when I was in my 20's, did I think that I was so overweight that I would not fit into an over sized shirt? Why was I constantly worried about being fat? At that time I believed I was the size I actually am now. Why couldn't I see that in the mirror? Pictures from then show the truth, but back then I only saw the flaws. Why is it, that my sister sees her own flaws in the mirror, whereas I, looking in that same mirror, see only her and her beauty? Do mirrors lie? Is it the wiring in our brains that deceive us? Or is it the enemy of our souls whispering? Or is it a combination of all three?
Just yesterday, looking a mirror at my office, I saw messy hair, acne healing skin and ill-fitting clothes. Not the way I wanted to look meeting friends at Jason's Deli. But in the Jason's restroom mirror, the skin looked a little better & the hair was okay. Through my drama experience, I know that lighting makes or breaks. But was I insecure before and later feeling more healthy through conversation with Godly peers? This is not one of those posts where I have any answers. I just don't know. Maybe one of us will rise above the power of the mirror and will teach us all how to do that. Until then, I'll try to avoid judging myself by what I see in reflective glass.
Lara

No comments: