Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Narnia

I began reading the Chronicles of Narnia when I was in high school. My first set was loaned by a friend of Lisa's who was a psychology major and had used them as the subject of many papers. She had written in the margins notes on the spiritual significance of the characters and stories. It was a beautiful way to fall in love with Aslan and Narnia. As the baby of the family, I believed that I related to Lucy. I love her heart and spirit as well as her connection with Aslan. Up until a few years ago, I believed that I was like Lucy.

The last time I read the books, and I do read them every few years, I realized that I was much more like Susan. Susan, the skeptic. Susan who doesn't always see or hear Aslan. Susan, the voice of doubt and, in her mind, reason. It was a rude awakening for me, to say the least, and somewhat painful. Isn't it interesting how God must bring us to a painful place to heal us? Or wake us up? Just take Eustace in Voyage of the Dawn Treader. His experience with Aslan's healing proved that he could never dig deep enough to trade his own dragon's scales for healing. It took the pain of Aslan's claws to clean those scales off of him. Okay, if you're thoroughly confused, just read the books. Or you can wait for the movie. But I digress...
If you haven't seen the movie, you might not want to read any further. Spoiler Alert. My favorite part of the movie, isn't actually in the book. It's toward the end. The mighty army is on the run since Aslan awoke the trees and they come to the bridge that they have been building the entire movie. Let us be clear that there are hundreds of soldiers in this army and as they approach the bridge a small girl appears at the opposite end. It's Lucy. The army stops and looks at her. She is smiling. She knows that they have reached the end of their retreat. There is no way they will get past her. The leader of the army is confused, surly she knows that he can overtake her. But that leader doesn't see Who has Lucy's back. She knows Who is behind her. She pulls out a small dagger from her belt and laughs. Then He appears. The Great Lion. Aslan. At His roar, the army falls.

Her complete confidence confused the enemies of Narnia. Her trust was not in herself or even in her brothers and sister. Her trust was in Aslan, the Lord of Narnia. The Lion Who is not tame. There has never been, nor will there ever be, an army that can stand against Him. Sound like Someone else we might know? If you have seen the movie, go again. If you haven't, GO! If you've read the books, read them again. If you haven't, read them. Pray before you do. See if there's something He is trying to tell you through them. I have learned more and more of His deep love for me each time I read them. Aslan calls Lucy 'Dear One'. Know that He calls you 'Dear One', because you are dear to Him.
Be blessed Dear Ones,
Lara

No comments: